Monday was pretty laid back. We got checked in and got our staff badges, had dinner, and had a meeting just for OSU kids where we met the director of LT, pretty cool. There was a lot of confusion about work responsibilites for Tuesday, but we finally figured out that food service was supposed to show up at 10. We met the a.m manager and he showed us around the work area and divided us into am and pm shifts (I'm on am for now woot) and we had lunch and then left. Pretty easy.
The first LT session wasn't until 9, so I was able to spend some time hanging out with the people in food services. We went to the craft and design place and made necklaces (and friends). It took me two hours to hemp my necklace, but I feel like it turned out pretty well.
After craft time I relaxed a little and did some reading. We also took a trip into town to get adapters for our rooms (the outlets are only two pronged and the minifridge needs 3!). I also stopped in at safeway and got a little bit of pop and some hummus. We went to a crazy weapons store that had a bunch of swords and such. After about 20 minutes Dave bought a plastic samurai sword and a knife and the cashier was like..."that's it?"
After shopping, we had dinner and went disc golfing. 11 of us in all...so we divided into 4 teams. We got through 8 holes in about 2 hours and realized one of the girls had lost her key so we retraced every hole and somehow managed to find it! At this point we had to go back though cause it was time for the first LT session.
Apparently tOSU's arrival had been pretty hyped up, but A&M was still convinced they had more school spirit. To prove them wrong we decided to paint our faces which I must admit turned out extremely well. The session was good - covered Phil 3 and talked a lot about focus. A good message for me to hear at the beginning of the summer. After the meeting I was pretty tired so I came back and went to bed.
Ok, the main reason I went to bed was because I got up at 5 am this morning for my first day of work. Wow. The job isn't hard, but it is constant work and very monotonous. I spent 8 hours doing dishes :(. The great thing was talking to people. I got to talk a lot with a couple people that I already knew (OSU) but got to know them a lot better, and I met a couple new people too, which was great. The girl that was showing me the ropes is Russian and has a pretty thick accent, which was a challenge, but she's nice and made work tolerable at times.
After work I did some more reading (memorized 4 verses) and relaxed. At dinner we planned to go see Toy Story 3 instead of the hike. Crazy right? Well food service people were all so worn out that a hike just didnt sound that appealing. Actually, 6 people went, 4 from food service, one from guest service, and a guy we met working who we invited to come with from Texas A&M. He's a pretty cool guy and the movie was really good.
I'm a little discouraged because I feel like between being busy and tired I'm not going to have the opportunity to do as much as I want to do out here this summer, but hopefully as I get used to the schedule a little more, somethings will open up. We have 8 hour orientation tomorrow, which is supposedly really dumb, but it can't be worse than dishes.
It's also been a struggle getting used to the altitude and dryness. I'm drinking about 10 glasses of water a day and I'm still getting headaches and lightheadedness from dehydration, but overall the first two days have been really good. I'm tired now, so I'm going to get some sleep, but I will try and update again soon.
To be continued....
Adam
No comments:
Post a Comment