It was the first 4th of July that I ever had to work (I think), but it wasn't bad because I had the am shift. Work has actually been crazy this weekend. We had 1100 people come in for breakfast on Saturday, and 800 yesterday, but people coming in yesterday didn't have meal tickets so the line was well out the door even with both food lines open. It didn't help that we've been running out of fruit all weekend. It was also crazy (and gross) yesterday when a lady complained to me about another lady changing her baby's diaper on one of the tables. I didn't really know what to do so I thanked her for letting me know and then told Darryl who made an announcement saying that a wonderful part of the service provided by the YMCA is that there are changing stations in both the mens and womens bathrooms so please refrain from changing diapers in the eating room.
To celebrate the 4th a bunch of us were going to hike up Twin Sisters to see the fireworks from the top of the mountain - apparently you can see 7 different cities' fireworks from the top. However, a really large group (33 people) and questionable weather led to a change in plans. We (with the exception of 3 people) decided to hike up Eagle Cliff instead, which meant we wouldn't have to drive into the national park and that it would be a 3 hour hike round trip instead of 5. I wasn't feeling that well, but I decided this was something I couldn't miss out on so I went up anyway.
So worth it.
The hike was really cool - the first "real" hike I've been on here. It was definitely a steep climb and we took lots of breaks. It was actually really cold up on top of the mountain, but most people had packed accordingly so other than me wishing I would have brought gloves - we were fine. Another really cool part of the night was worship. Brandon brought his guitar up the mountain and while we were waiting for the sun to set he just played and everyone sang along. It was so awesome praising God on a mountain peak with clouds floating through and around us.
The way down was really intense. Most people had flashlights or headlights, but it was still hard to make it down in the dark. I slipped and fell a couple times because it was almost impossible to tell where secure footing was, but we were in small groups, which made it easier and we helped each other. Overall, it was one of the cooler 4ths I've experienced.
Last week I had my first project and small group. Great. John Drage ( the LT director ) taught us about evangelism. Going in I was pretty nervous/suspicious of it because I have always had this negative view of evangelism of being intolerant and condemning - which it definitely can be. But John talked a lot about just loving people and getting to know them and build relationships. Things I absolutely agree with and want to be able to do. After John's talk, our project group gathered and we all shared how things had been going, which was encouraging to hear how people were doing and also hear how a lot of people were experiencing similar frustrations as myself.
Small group was pretty good. I'm in small group with Joe, Greg, Mark, and Dan - all really cool guys. We spent the whole time just sharing about our lives and basically how we got to where we are. Definitely cool to learn about everyone's lives. I'm looking forward to the rest of the summer with them.
Thursday was school spirit night at LT. Of course OSU won. :) We had already done face painting stuff, but we did it again and on top of that organized a couple of cheers. The first cheer was the "oh oh oh" chant to the White Stripes' song "Seven Nation Army" which then went to the Buckeye classic "OH" - "IO" During Seven Nation Army we thought it would be cool to add a little extra flair so I crowd surfed (or crowd bobbed) which was pretty sweet.
Other than LT stuff and work I've been playing a decent amount of putt putt and a lot of euchre. Greg and I have been dominating euchre, but I'm still not so great at putt putt. I've now played 11 of the disc golf holes here and was -1 through those 11.
I really appreciate all of your continued support and interest in my time out here and I will try to keep updating as time allows. I am praying for you all.
Here is a picture of a few of us from school spirit night...
To be continued...
-Adam
No comments:
Post a Comment